Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Jelly Donut

"Here." Lee's arm snaked past her head and dropped a white paper bag on the kitchen table, thud.

"Not on my papers!" She pushed the bag to a clear spot, then picked it up and looked inside, curious about its weight and feel. "Donuts?" She turned to Lee, rummaging in the fridge. "You know I'm trying to fit into that dress." She jiggled the bottom of the bag, looking at the contents.

"I was driving past and couldn't help myself. That place is so good you don't even need to smell the grease to be chummed in." He put the carton of orange juice and two mismatched glasses down, gave her a smack on the forehead before taking the bag and upending it onto a plate.

They sat there examining the pile of sugar- and grease-infused carb packets. The classic glazed, a twist, cake donuts covered in chocolate frosting and Christmas-colored jimmies, the red oozing out of a smushed jelly donut, a handful of holes, a craggy old-fashioned. He poured them each a glass of juice.

She licked the glaze off her thumb and picked up a second donut. "Where did you say you were this morning?"

Lee stuffed half a twist in his mouth. "Terra Linda, baby, Terra Linda."

3 comments:

Chemical Billy said...

Thanks to you, Suzanne, I can now add "chummed in" to my vocabulary.

I can only add, in the words of H. Simpson, "Ooooohhh...donuts..."

Bones said...

Seriously, the Jelly Donut makes an awesome cake donut.

Chemical Billy said...

Mmmm...I'm a sucker for the cake donut.