Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Bladerunner again


Russ and Aimee gazed at the popcorn machine, butts up against the counter of oversized Dots and Redvines. They studied his growing origami collection in a blissful, quiet between movies, the only sounds the Coming Attractions monitor, the video games, the high school students screaming out on the street, and a toilet in the men's room that wouldn't stop flushing.

"So no more cranes."

"No, no more cranes. Only these," and Russ leaned forward to jab a folded white paper taped to the front of the popcorn machine, "twelve of them now."

Aimee shifted her weight, made to move like she was going for the hot dog ferris wheel, leaned back where she was. "That's weird."

"No, not weird." Russ shifted his weight again, jabbed another folded heart and stood there, hunched, not wanting to turn around, not wanting to turn away, "They all have 'Aimee' written on the inside."

4 comments:

Andam said...

It's a *love* story. Why didn't I get that before? That it references Blade Runner should have given it away sooner. I'm clearly a slow monkey.

monkey 0 said...

yeah, I'm feeling like I missed the barge, too. but I'm all caught up now!

twelve of them, though. that's like twelve apostles or something and seems a little ominous...

Chemical Billy said...

Well, for what it's worth, I knew it was love. I'm a slow monkey with other things, but with this one...

How could he not be in love with Aimee?

Bones said...

I feel I've painted myself (and Russ) into a corner, and I'm trying to get us out. But since I just blew off the entire day playing games it'll have to wait a little longer.

Oh, and twelve isn't the magic number.